Thursday, September 22, 2011

Laborers in the Vineyard.

The Gospel reading for this past Sunday was from the 20th Chapter of Matthew.  It was the telling of the UNFAIR labor practices of the landowner who paid some people much more than he did others, who worked longer hours.   He showed mercy on those who, although they did not work as long a day as some of the others; He gave them the same reward –‘pay’.  I say thank GOD for the mercy of the ‘Landowner’.  Here’s why…

You see, I am one of those people in the 'vineyard' who went astray, and didn’t get to the vineyard until later in the ‘day’.  I took the wrong turn and didn't get to the vineyard to find work right away.  My family prayed that I’d find my way back there, because I had been there once before.  They knew that I was a 'decent guy’ but it wasn't until MUCH later that I actually found my way back to the vineyard and was able to receive 'gainful employment' there.  When I finish my work in the vineyard as do the rest of my fellow workers... I sure do hope that the landowner is good to me.  I hope that he takes into consideration that I’ve done my best while outside of His vineyard.  I got confused and lost, and was working elsewhere.  Do you know what I mean? 
You see, my fellow workers ... if we look at the vineyard as the kingdom of heaven... it isn't really about the ‘money’ we are going to get paid... it is about gaining access to the 'eternal vineyard' when we ‘retire’.  That is TRULY what we are all looking for, isn’t it?  In the end, we are either 'in' or 'out'.  I just pray the landowner won’t ‘dock’ me for losing my way.  After all, I tried to do the same work elsewhere, just not according to the specifications, policies, and procedures he had in his vineyard.  I am just happy I finally found my way back to his.   Although I made it to his vineyard latter than I should have... I hope he takes my honest efforts elsewhere, into consideration.  When it comes to the end of my ‘day’ in the vineyard, I hope he lets me retire in his ‘eternal vineyard’.  I know I didn’t spend as much time laboring in THIS vineyard as some of you, but I WAS working hard in another vineyard to supply wine to the rest of the world.  I hope he is merciful and allows me access in the end.

My friends… it’s all about God’s Grace.  I give thanks and praise to Almighty God that HE is the landowner and not one of the other workers who have been employed there for decades.  Me is a merciful Landowner and should someone work much less time in the vineyard than I … I want THEM to be able to retire right along with me.  I am mindful of a brother who HATES ALL WINE and wants nothing to do with it.  Hopefully… he’ll come around in time for the Landowner to employ him as well.  What do you think?

Until Next time… May God Bless and Keep you and yours.
BloggerBill.

No comments:

Post a Comment