Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Triumph of Faith, Courage, and Grace.

'MISERY TO MINISTRY'
by Mary T. Sorrendino
 (http://www.amazon.com/Misery-Ministry-Mary-T-Sorrendino/dp/0974966495/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301152193&sr=8-1 )

A Book Rewiew:

I recently finished reading Mary's book. It arrived in my mailbox at 1pm and I had it read shortly after midnight. I could not put it down. I have known Mary for about 25 years, and when I was told that she wrote a book, my first reaction was...."are you sure we are talking about the same person?" Mary had shared pieces of her story when we worked together some 15 years ago, but I had no idea that she struggled so, even as we worked side by side. I knew she never graduated from High School so I was quite surprised when I heard that she actually wrote a book. I immediately knew I had to read it.

It does make sense when I look back on those times. She was very meek, mild, and quiet, unless of course I "ruffled her feathers" just to a rise out of her. Then she would come ALIVE and could get quite feisty. I loved to tease her. However, there was one thing I always encountered when I was around her ... and that was her sincerity and LOVE.  Love for God and love for people.  Especially dear to her were the downtrodden and marginalized.  I never once saw her put anyone down and she was always kind to everyone, even if they were not kind to her. God bestowed a wondrous capacity to Love upon Mary, the likes of which I have only seen in one or two people my entire life of 53 years. What makes that gift even more wondrous today -- is the fact that she had that gift, exhibited it, and lavished it on others all the while she suffered so internally.  Yes, I knew she had some issues but never did I imagine the depth and breadth of her very difficult life.  To be able to rise above all that took tremendous courage and strength.  I am sure there are very few people on earth, who against such tremendous odds and mental anguish, would be able to rise above it all.  It is truly hard for me to fathom.  As you read her story, it will sadden you.  Then it will amaze you.  You may even shed a tear or two, as I did.  Then it will encourage all of you, especially those who suffer from abuse, neglect and mental anguish. They will see the reality of the Hope and strength that comes only from trusting Jesus Christ. This book is truly a testament of one woman's life long struggle with her demons and the triumph over them. Mary knows and shows us that it is only possible when we CHOOSE to cooperate with the grace of Almighty God, through His Son Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Mary, I am so very proud of you. Thank you for sharing your MISERY with us, so that you can MINISTER to others.
May God bless you and keep you, this day and always.
Your friend in Christ,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment